APD develops creative solutions to challenging micromachining problems, using precision diamond saws to cut and machine a large variety of hard brittle materials.
To complement our prototype focused processes, APD offers:
- low to medium volume wafer dicing capacity as backup to current dicing processes
- process development support for new product development
- cost reduction solutions for products currently in production
- make cuts as small as 25 microns wide
- perform trenching with variations in depth to < 5 microns over a 4" cut
- process wafers as thin as 50 microns
- cut wafers as thick as 10 mm
- handle wafers as large as 300 mm
- cut die as small as 100 microns square
- place cuts inside of cuts to create a custom trench profile
- make standard entry cuts and plunge cuts
- ship in waffle packs, gel packs and on tape & ring
Here are some specific applications where we have successfully applied our knowledge to provide cutting edge solutions.
- Micromachining of 75 micron thick Nitinol wire. The wire was cut into 1.8 mm lengths and 3 notches were cut into the sides of the piece. The notches were 38 microns deep and 175 microns wide with 2 notches placed on the opposite side from the third.
- Micromachining of various sizes of Nitinol springs and tubes.
- Cutting of 750 micron diameter glass and ceramic tubes.
- Cutting of custom sized microscope slides with delicate surface processing.
- Sawing of 1/4" thick quartz photomask.
- Sawing Silicon/Pyrex material with a special blade to provide an 8 degree sidewall.
- Providing "near Polished" cuts to eliminate a polishing step for the end customer.
- Delivering cut silicon pieces on non-tack tape to facilitate an automatic pick and place process.
- Dicing of wafers with very fragile bumps.
- Cutting and picking of die pieces from a 50 micron thick wafer.
- Placing high aspect ratio cuts in Ferrite toroids. (50 microns wide and 3.25 mm deep).
- Precision routing of very small printed circuit boards from panels.